The Church of the Holy Annunciation in East Melbourne is the oldest Orthodox Church in Victoria, completed in 1901 and the second oldest church in Australia. Following a devastating fire, the combined celebration will be both an opening of the restated church and a celebration of the famous rallying cry that was the raising of the banner by Metropolitan Germanos at Agia Lavra.
Lansdowne Street in East Melbourne will transform into a place bursting with colour, dancing, and music in an event that commemorates the 200th Anniversary of the Greek War of Independence.
Following the church services at the nearby historic church (168 Victoria Parade, East Melbourne) the program of activity moves outdoors into Lansdowne Street where people will be entertained by a rich program of activity that includes:
• 30 actors (6 on horseback) re-tell the taking of the sacred oath by Ypsilanti and his band.
• Music and traditional Greek dance by
• The Greek Community Dance Ensemble
• The Pancretan Association of Melbourne
• The Manasis School of Greek Dance and Culture
• The Pan Macedonian Association
• The Pegasus Dance Academy
Also, don’t miss the Greek Koulouria, Greek flags, Greek Loukoumathes and much much more!!!